Saturday, February 6, 2010

Walkin' in a winter wonderland...

It's been precipitating all day...a wintry mix, I guess you call it. We got a couple more inches of snow this morning, then some freezing rain in the afternoon. Sapphire, who lives in the room next door, said it was raining slush. Haha, I'm not sure about that. We still had a few inches left from last weekend, then we got a few more this morning, and we're supposed to get anywhere from 3-12 inches (or more) over the weekend! Wow. But that reminds me: I tried to post some snow pics last week but I was having a lot of trouble with it, so here they are now! :-)

All the cars were buried.



People sledding down the Hill. The guy walking up the stairs is carrying one of those "Caution, Wet Floor" signs....I saw several people trying to use them as sleds, but I don't know if they worked or not. Plastic box lids were also pretty popular.



Me, at the fountain. And no, the snow wasn't that deep everywhere, but it was very windy so it got blown about quite a bit, so in places it was past my knees. :-)


Me and my roomie Jordan.



Winter wonderland!



We got 9 or 10 inches.



I took these next few pictures as I was walking to North Campus for class a few days later.

Look at those ginormous icicles!



Just a random pic I thought was cool.


The prayer chapel.



Someone built a snowman in the fountain.



Soooo.......after all that snow last weekend, and all the slush over the past week, not to mention all the rain we've been getting ever since the semester started, I decided it was high time to get some handy dandy waterproof boots. My roommate Christiana bought some the other day; she had looked high and low for them and only found them at 2 stores, both at the mall. So I decided to take the bus to mall, and Jordan came with me. We got to the bus stop 5 minutes before it was supposed to come, but because of the weather the buses were behind schedule and we waited about half an hour, nearly freezing in the process. We literally did a happy dance when it finally came.

The trip started off very well: we marched right in, found the store, and, miraculously, I found the perfect boots right away. We paid for them and got some supper at the food court and ate part of it while we were waiting for the bus. We didn't have to wait long; the bus came and we hopped on, thinking how quick and easy this trip had been! Well. After riding for maybe 15 minutes and seeing some new parts of Lynchburg, not to mention lots of interesting people on the bus, we started to get "that feeling." Yep, we were on the wrong bus. Sooo.....we had to wait till it got back to the mall, then wait at the stop for at least 30 minutes for the right bus. We finally got back to LU 2 hours later, but it felt like longer than that. But yay, now I have boots and don't have to worry about soaking my sneakers!

Aren't they cute?




I didn't even realize until Bethany pointed it out, but they match my PJs almost perfectly! Isn't that weird? Too bad we're not allowed to wear our PJs to class.

Well, I'm pretty sleepy, so good night! Yay for Saturdays, snow days, and sleeping in! I'll post some pics of my room in the next few days. :-)

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Cute boots!!! I can't believe y'all got that much snow! O.O My goodness!

Bethany said...

That is a lot of snow! So did you sled or build a snowman too?

Dee Dee said...

Love the boots!

Dee Dee said...

And I LOVE the new blog!! I'm a happy mama. Love to hear from you. Yep, keep posting on the family blog too.... please : )

Caitlin said...

No, I haven't gone sledding yet. No snowman either...but I did make some snowballs. And I went up to the snowflex today to watch my roommates snowboard...I thought about trying it too, but then they ran out of snowboards because there were so many people there.

Unknown said...

Aw, pretty boots! So now I know where all the snow went! Haha. We only got about 5 inches in Durham, but it was still pretty fun. Has it been really really cold up there?

Caitlin said...

It's been pretty cold, but not unbearable. This week it's usually been somewhere between 25-35 degrees.

Ben said...

man, very cool blog Caitlin...
snowboarding is pretty tough, we did some snowboarding the other day at a hill near our house.
those are the biggest icicles i've seen...wow.

Us: said...

LOVE the boots!! :)

And goodness! that's a lot of snow. It's so crazy how much VA/NC has gotten lately.

Dee Dee said...

New post??? Love you lots!